Thursday, January 20, 2011

Girls' Nights are Good Nights

In the last two years I have learned the value of good girl friends in a capacity I had not truly understood.  Chatting about life, gossip, relationships, silly tv, family, and whatever else comes up over dinner has become a favorite activity.  I've had two good ones in the last week or so that have helped to keep me grounded as work seems to be swirling around like crazy and life is in high-speed.  

Night #1:  Libby (roomie) and Molly L. (favorite friend to unload emotional crises/former colleague) and I had a Vegetarian Asian night at home.  Paired with reality tv, it was a fantastic Tuesday.

Menu:
Rice Paper Spring Rolls (#192)
Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing
So pretty
Making these rolls was so easy, - and they looked so pretty!  Moby got to meet Molly's dog Caroline, and that was fun, too.  Even though they basically spent the night politely ignoring one another, and competing for pets, scratches and other expressions of love.  It would be remiss if I didn't mention that Libby did so much of the work for this meal, and it was so fun to work with someone else in the kitchen in between wine and talk.  Certainly it was a night in which I was grateful to have such a wonderful roommate.  
Chef Libby
Molly letting us know we're on bottle...#2. 

A bit crispy, but not too shabby.
Night #2:  Beth came over for a midweek supper that falls into a category of meal-making that I absolutely love:  one dish.  Yes, friends, this meal is so easy and delicious, and it is baked in one dish.  Less clean up, more fun.

Menu:

Step #1
Step #2
Step #3
As I often do, I thought some heat was needed, so a good dose of crushed red pepper (about 1 tsp.) did the trick.  This is an excellent meal to make a couple extra servings of for lunches in the days following dinner.

Ladies, thanks for being there.  I am always reminded of how good it is to have you after a meal together.  

107 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment